Put a basil plant on the table. Wasps dislike the odor and avoid the table. Really helps!
Always close bottles and cover glasses. This way you prevent wasps from crawling into the glass and thus avoid inadvertent, life-threatening stings in the mouth and throat when drinking. Avoid cans where it is difficult to see whether there is a wasp in them at this time of year.
Also keep food closed up or covered. If the wasps cannot reach the food, they will fly away again. At the breakfast table, close the honey and jam jars immediately after use, cover sausage and ham plates, and hide any other sweets.
Attract wasps away from the table by setting up something tasty for them at a distance of five to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet). Grapes, for example, are a particular favorite of wasps.
What to do if a wasp has stung?
In contrast to bees, which lose their stinger when stinging, the wasp withdraws its stinger. Nevertheless, one should check whether the stinger is still stuck in the skin and remove it if necessary. Simple household remedies such as a cool compress or a cold pack can help against pain and swelling. A sliced onion placed against the sting site can also alleviate the symptoms. An anti-sting cream also helps if it is on hand.
It becomes dangerous when you are stung in the mouth. Go to doctor immediately and suck something cold, such as an ice cube, to reduce the swelling.
Anyone aware of an allergy to wasp stings should always keep an emergency kit handy and use it. An allergic reaction can be life-threatening. It usually begins with tingling hands and feet and can lead to anaphylactic shock.
Publiziert am von Dr. Barbara Hendel